Home
Tiree
Map
Collections
News
Weather
About
Others
Contact

Tiree Images > Other Collections > Kirkapol

Kirkapol, Tiree - Click to enlarge!
March 2005

Kirkapol Chapels - Click to enlarge!
March 2005

  

Related Pages:
Patrick's Temple & Kilkenneth
History of Tiree

Nearby Places:
Gott Bay

Kirkapol, Tiree - Click to enlarge!
March 2005

Kirkapol, Isle of Tiree - Click to enlarge!
March 2005

Kirkapol Chapel - Click to enlarge!
March 2005

Kirkapol, Tiree - Click to enlarge!
March 2005

On Gott Bay lie two of Tiree's ancient chapels next to one another dedicated to St Columba . The smaller and older is situated on a small mound. The newer is probably 14th century. However, the place name Kirkapol is Norse for church farm so this has been the site of Christian significance for at least a 1000 years as the Vikings converted around that time. Use of the site for Christian worship may have been older and related to the earlier Iona related monastery. In any case, the floor of the smaller chapel appears to have even earlier pagan carvings so the Kirkapol site may have been of religious significance well before the arrival of Christianity to this part of Scotland. See also the Ringing Stone.

These images are strictly copyright. You must not use these anywhere without first seeking permission.

Tiree Images .com - Jim Murdoch © 2015